Respected product, UX / UI, and ID leader with 15 years of experience inspiring teams while giving attention to professional development, open communication, collaboration and inclusivity. Experience ranging from enterprise cloud software products to vehicles, mechanical systems, and manufacturing at scale.
- 7 industry recognitions including multiple IDEA® and Good Design Awards and 40 patents.
- Received internal company awards for performance including the Caterpillar Product Development Excellence Award, Caterpillar Innovator Award, and Caterpillar Chairman’s Award.
- Led the design of the multi-year Cat® CT660 and Cat® CT680 truck programs.
- Sparked multiple informal projects such as an innovative repositionable swivel seat with an electromagnetic release, and then turned them into formal work streams.
UBER - Advanced Technologies Group San Francisco, California
Senior Product Manager - Vehicles & Self Driving Hardware (February 2017 - present)
- Leads the product vision, roadmap and priorities for features, experiences, and designs related to self driving transportation.
Inspires hardware, software, and vehicle teams to deliver cohesive and seamless self driving Uber experiences with respect to cost/value, safety, accessibility, strategy, regulatory, and brand.
Collaborates with vehicle OEM partners to spec vehicle features and future platforms.
SALESFORCE San Francisco, California
Director / Principal Product Designer - IoT Cloud (August 2016 - January 2017)
- Coach, manage and mentor a small team of UX product designers for the IoT Cloud product, as well as engage with leadership from internal partner clouds.
Contribute as a UX/UI principal designer, defining the future product vision, generating concepts, resolving product strategy, evaluating the competitive landscape, and creating ideal customer/user experiences.
Support research activities including customer site visits, executive customer briefings, ethnographic research and interviews, usability testing and report-outs to product management, engineering and leadership teams.
CATERPILLAR Peoria, Illinois 2006 – 2016
Manager, Global Customer Experience, Design & Strategy (2015 - 2016)
- Develop and lead multi-million dollar relationship with IDEO to architect the future vision for CX with a focus on digital touch points for the construction business vertical.
- Work directly with top executive leadership to create long term strategy roadmap for growing internal UI/UX design capability and span of control across web, mobile, in-cab and jobsite solutions.
- Lead a global team of CX professionals (6 directly, many more indirectly) demonstrating human centered design, customer journey mapping, UX leadership as well as innovation processes.
- Demonstrate the importance of design and customer experience to internal audience including group president and VP level stakeholders, gain funding and approval for major initiatives.
Design Manager, On-Highway Trucks (2011 - 2015)
- Drove the conception, design and introduction of the organization’s entire line of North American Cat®. On-Highway truck products with a strong understanding of intended usage and focus on innovation.
- Worked closely with in-house resources, business partners, external vendors, and suppliers to deliver designs with attention to craftsmanship, quality, serviceability and reliability.
- Motivated and conduct a team of 30 industrial designers, digital modelers, ergonomists, body system engineers, and clay sculptors toward a seamless end user experience.
- Acted as interim Technical Engineering Manager driving product cost targets, program timing, and capital tooling approval for vehicle chassis, electrical and thermal systems design. Ensured quality delivery at plant builds and manufacturing events.
- Managed downstream activities including marketing communication accuracy, sales and support literature creation, education for field representatives, legal protection for design and public product launch.
Senior Industrial Designer (2008-2011)
- Played a lead role in unifying the company around a single vision for truck models and a comprehensive product roadmap.
- Spearheaded all aspects of interior and exterior truck design including conducting research, generating and presenting concepts for proportion, form, function and ergonomics.
- Used research insights, cultural context, and design trends in order to embed Cat® DNA into truck designs with the selection of material, color and trim, textures and grains.
- Managed the electronic 2D and 3D surface development for full scale clay bucks, high fidelity show models, production geometry, and product graphics.
- Performed final design sign off for production tooling and conducted fit and finish reviews for all appearance parts and user touch points.
Staff Designer (2006-2008)
- Created exterior design proposals for 25-45 ton Articulated Dump Trucks accommodating Tier IV emissions standards while improving operator visibility.
- Generated future generation concepts for Forestry Products exploring autonomy, advanced controls, seating, operator environment, Tier IV emission integration and shared components.
CROWN EQUIPMENT New Bremen, Ohio 2002 – 2006
Industrial Designer I, II, Senior Designer
- Participated in all aspects of product design including conceptualization, planning and development, prototyping and physical model creation, refinement, introduction and performance analysis.
- Designed progressive products that adhered to engineering and manufacturability standards while addressing end user needs including ergonomics, performance and cost:
- Implemented a low capital investment approach to storage, display and control panel on the TSP6000 Turret truck.
- Supported the production design of the C5 cushion and pneumatic internal combustion forklifts.
- Invented and introduced the Crown FlexSeat™ for all sit-down trucks.
- Invented a mechanism for seat repositioning and developed a driving course to demonstrate its effectiveness to potential stakeholders.
- Devised early stage mechanical cross sections for the MonoLift™ mast on the RM6000 Reach truck.
- Refined design details on the FC, SC and Walkie ST and SX Stacker trucks and accessories.
- Performed valuable research including end user observations, competitive benchmarking and data analysis that helped to enhance the human to machine interface.
- Created advanced concepts exploring the integration of non-traditional technologies into the world of fork lift trucks such as laser and video to improve usability.
- Acts alongside less than 1% of Caterpillar employees as a certified brand ambassador, participating in training, engagement and stewardship of the $7B Cat® brand. Councils on brand decisions, infuses company DNA into work streams and routinely looks at ways to extend and evolve customer expectations of the brand.
- Directed the Fall 2012 Senior Design Studio at Purdue University with projects that included concepts for autonomous vehicles, on-highway trucks, ATVs and workplace safety. Two of the four teams became IDEA student award finalists.
VALPARAISO UNIVERSITY, Valparaiso, Indiana
- Master of Business Administration, 2013
PURDUE UNIVERSITY, West Lafayette, Indiana
- Bachelor of Arts, Industrial Design, 2002
- Minor in Philosophy